The 30 second connection.

Today I went into the supermarket during busy lunch hour to get just a bread roll and I had to join a long but fast paced queue to the checkout and as I approached the till,I think my subconscious must have programmed my mind,that I do not waste any time.I exchange pleasantries with the cashier,asking how she was today,to which she replied in the positive and a smile while totalling my bill.I inserted my card in the card reader for the payment and briskly it went through and at the end of the transaction,I collected my receipt and wished the cashier a lovely afternoon."Thank you" I heard her reply as I walked out.Ten metres away,I HAD REACHED THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND WAS WAITING FOR THE GREEN MAN TO COME ON,I HEARD A CALL OUT BEHIND ME" EXCUSE ME,EXCUSE ME" IT WAS THE CASHIER,RUNNING UP AND REACHING MY SIDE,and she said,"OH,THAT WAS MY EXERCISE FOR THE DAY,"BUT YOU LEFT YOUR CARD!AND I WANTED YOU TO HAVE A NICE AFTERNOON TOO,"(REFERRING TO MY EARLIER remark TO HER TO HAVE A NICE AFTERNOON)"Oh thank you,thank you",I said,as I imagined what it would have been like finding out my card was missing, possibly a couple of days later.But would you agree that the cashier didn't have the obligation to come after me to return my card,she simply could have given it to the store manager in case I came back to ask. And remember also,it was also a busy lunch hour! I guess it was my approach towards her earlier that saved me of one hell of a hassle that I could do without;the whole process of cracking my head days after,turning everywhere upside down to search for the card,and the cancellation and waiting for a replacement card.I was truly grateful.But more importantly,like I read in the book "Don't eat your marshmallow.......yet" by Joachim DePosada,it reads,
"No matter what you do,you are first and foremost in the business of connecting with people and those people will decide whether to connect with you within 30seconds of meeting you"."So you had better be in the business of making a good 1st impression or forget it". We need to keep adapting and learning more of life skills that will take us forward in our daily transactions and help make our lives better,so today think of the 30 second connection as you put yourself forward!

Comments

Miss Eileen said…
Hello Abimbola its Eileen, ive just read some your of your lesson and it is what ive have been thinking to do Studying, to boarden my mind and up my word power,also today messgage in church was love and meeting new people, networking and growth the body of chirst.

i am very much encourage with what your doing. it shows that i can become what i want to be.

Eileen